Jones Family
2012
Dear Mom and Dad,
As I think back on past Christmases and recall conversations with you about what gifts you wanted to find under the tree on Christmas morning, your answers were invariably: "All I want is a righteous posterity." Although sometimes said in jest (usually by dad ;), it was clear that together, your greatest desire was for us kids to have strong testimonies for ourselves of the divinity of Jesus Christ and His role in Heavenly Father's Plan. As you reflect upon these pictures and their accompanying memories, I hope that you can feel the Spirit of your original "Christmas wish," and that you can perhaps see a glimpse of the fulfillment of that prayer that we kids heard so many times while at "our mother's knee." Your testimonies of Jesus Christ have been a great blessing to me and now the things you taught me continue to bless my husband and my children. Merry Christmas and much love.
Love you both,
Mel, Tay, Jackson, and Abby Ida
p.s. I feel as though that my life now revolves around lists: grocery lists, to-do lists, ingredient lists (screening for food allergies), Christmas lists, etc. So, since this is how my mind is organized these days, here is a list of our most memorable moments with the you two.
Memories that we cherish:
As I child, Christmas time was (as the cliche goes) so magical. Mom wore her special red apron with the white trim. Dad put on a nice sweater even while preparing the finishing touches for the dinner. Johnny Mathis and Nat King Cole joined us from the old stereo in the family room and there was the ever so subtle clinging of the Norwegian candle centerpiece as the golden angels spun around the tiny flames. The kids seemed to even look a little nicer, with Scott's "wave" hairstyle being freshened up and the traditional Norwegian sweaters being worn. I loved the special spirit in our home during those special days of Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. As a mother, I now find myself yearning to replicate for my children the Christmas experience that I had from the two of you. I want to share with them the story of the Fourth Wise Man, The Forgotten Carols, and the smells and sounds of what Christmas would feel like in Norway. I feel so incredibly rich as I think about how these memories shaped me as a person and gave me a sense of identity and belonging in our family. And now, as I write this, I can recall Christmases where we were warned that there would be fewer gifts under the tree and yet I never felt wanting because the two of you always made Christmas a time of abundant love. Thank you for doing the simple things that mattered the most for our family.
***
How grateful am I that the two of you were able to be with us when both Jackson and Abby were born. A few of my cherished memories from those experiences include the following:
- Picking up Mom and Dad at the LaGuardia airport for Jackson's birth and seeing Mom's initial reaction to my very pregnant self. So sweet to have a tender moment in the January rain, surrounded by taxi cabs, luggage and the thrill (and surprise) in her eyes!
- Doing labs around Bruce Park in Greenwich while Dad recorded me in hopes that baby Jackson would decide to make an early appearance. I guess all that running was just rocking him to sleep because he eventually had to be evicted :)
- Having several days with Mom while we waited for Abby to make her entrance. One moment that stands out in my mind is when I fell asleep on the bed while the boys were at church and mom sat next to me and apparently had her own little alone time with Abby. I'm told that my belly was all elbows, fists, and heels as mom conversed with her sixth granddaughter.
- Doris Day...that is all ;)
Jackson's first visit to Mormor and Bestefar's house
Bestefar and Jackson playing around at the New York Botanical Garden the afternoon before Abby was born.
Jackson meeting Abby for the first time!
- We can't write about cherished memories without acknowledging the great gift that it was to go to Norway with you and Troy in the summer of 2009. To this day, more than 3 years later, we continue to talk about how much fun that trip was and how wonderful it was to share that experience with you. Thanks for letting us tag along!! There were so many things that I loved about taking Taylor and Jackson to Norway. The one thing that I was most impressed with was the feelings that I had when it was time to say goodbye to you in Oslo. Although I knew that I would be safe and that everything would be fine, I was moved with how much more the Norway experience meant to me when my parents were with me. Saying goodbye to you that rainy evening made me feel like a little child again and that a piece of myself was being taken away. It is one thing to tour a country and to experience the unique sights, sounds, and smells, and be satisfied and fulfilled by the outward journey, but when the site-seeing experience includes locations where testimonies were shared, gained, and lives were changed, that is where the real inner journey takes place. I learned that going to Norway was much more rewarding when I could experience it with you and be reminded of what Heavenly Father's great plan was for you two and for the rest of our family.
Memories that make us smile:
- Mormor and her "memory making" crafts, story times, special treats in the backyard on a warm summer day
- Bestefar and his green garden thumb and rides on the lawn mower with the kids that evolve into tag in the backyard. Jackson loved eating the tomatoes off the vine, even if a few of them were a little too juicy!
- This particular memory not only made me smile, it made me laugh, and then it made me cry. I had mentioned to Mom that Jackson's speech therapist wanted him playing with more "pretend play" toys and she recommended the Fisher Price circus train set. I mentioned it to Mom and within days I found a package on our front porch in Greenwich with the train set inside. Mom had gotten Troy's help to research where to buy the toy, purchased it, and had it sent to us. Jackson loved it (and continues to play with it to this day). When Jackson was sent to the hospital for pneumonia, that was one of his favorite things to have during his stay there. It brought a sense of familiarity and comfort to him which in turn comforted Taylor and I during an otherwise very scary time for us. I felt so much of Mom (and Dad's) love and concern for sweet little Jackson. It was such a simple thing but meant so much to us.
Memories that make us laugh:
- (From Taylor) When I asked for Melinda's hand in marriage, I expressed my love for her and how I would take care of her and strive to provide her with the life and marriage that I knew she deserved. Mom was very sweet, thoughtful, and of course weepy. Dad simply asked me, "What car do you drive? What year is it? Do you get good gas mileage??" :)
- Below is a candid shot of the sons-in-law working together to make Dad look as dapper as possible

No comments:
Post a Comment